Monday, February 13, 2012

Do you have to be anybody special to blog? (You probably know the answer to this one...)

Whew! This past weekend was packed so full with activities; from the way things are looking, this coming week will probably be just as busy. Not sure how much blogging I will be able to squeeze in in the midst of all this... life. But I guess blogging is like practice, in this way: You do what you can with what you've got, and more often than not, the results surprise you (or at least, they surprise me)...

Speaking of blogging, an interesting little conversation about blogging happened this past weekend. On Saturday, I went for my twice-a-month acupuncture session. The acupuncturist was the same lady who attended to me two weeks ago (see this post). As she was sticking needles into me, we started chatting about yoga again; somehow, the topic of blogging came up, and I mentioned that I write a blog. When she heard this, her eyes suddenly sparkled, and she asked, "Oh, you write a blog? Do you work for Yoga Journal or something?" I replied, "No, it is just a personal blog about my own observations about my yoga practice, and my place in the world as it relates to the practice." "Oh," she replied, and went back to sticking needles into me.

Perhaps I'm reading too much into this short exchange, but I can't help feeling that there are a whole bunch of people out there who think that you have to be someone special to write a blog. Well, if this is what they think... welcome to my world! I'm nobody special, but I write a blog nonetheless. I can go on and on about how yoga blogging can function to democratize knowledge and information, and makes the aesthetics of the yoga world a little less "Yoga-Journal-esque", and perhaps a little bit more... real, but I have a long day ahead, and this is not a day for a long post. So I'll sign off here.

P.S. I am making a mental note to myself not to reveal the name of this blog to my acupuncturist. I have already generated at least two blog posts from my acupuncture conversations, neither of which paint the acupuncturist in a particularly flattering light.  

P.P.S. I am traveling to Memphis, TN, from Thursday February 23rd to Sunday February 26th. If any of you out there reading this live in Memphis (or will be there during these same days), please feel free to drop me a line. Perhaps we can hang out and/or practice together?

No comments:

Post a Comment